Tuesday, April 7, 2015

My Journey to a Healthy Lifestyle

Roadblocks along the way:

 I have been exercising consistently for the past 3 months, and loving every minute of it. For the 1st 2 months I stayed faithful to the 21 Day Fix workouts, and Zumba (the Zumba 1-2 times per week). As a Beachbody Coach, I thought that it would be fun to try a new workout program so I order PIYO because I adore Chalene Johnson, and love Pilates and Yoga. I have always been flexible, and with some bladder issues, thought it would be perfect because it is a lower impact workout.

Flashback- 2 years ago, I did have some lower back issues, and after visiting the physical therapist, chiropractor, and orthopedic doctor, I was diagnosed with Lumbar Osteoarthritis- which is basically when your cartilage gets worn down as you get older. Here is a video that explains it a little better:Lumbar Osteoarthritis Video

So the doc put me on anti inflammatory meds, which helped a little bit, and I stopped all exercise for about a month. Over time, I did start to feel better, and also had some success with taking the over the counter supplement, Osteo Bi flex (containing Glucosamine and Chondroitin).

Ok, so fast forward....I have not had any back pain since then...UNTIL I did 2 workouts of PIYO- soooo bummed. My back did not hurt while I was doing the PIYO, but after 2 days of it, I was in a lot of pain in my lower back.

When thinking back to 2 years back, I realized that what had triggered my back pain last time was also a Yoga class (more flow Yoga than gentle Yoga).

So now I am back on anti inflammatory meds, no exercise for at least a couple of weeks, and the realization that I can't do Yoga flow moves :(   It was kind of strange the way the doctor explained it- he said that flexible people are able to push their body with certain moves/stretches, and it does not hurt as you are doing it- people who are not flexible have bodies that are able to say, "Stop, that is hurting". Basically people who are flexible tend to push our bodies too far....and as we get older, it does finally catch up to you- boo!

Any way, it is a really disappointing day, because not only can I not do Yoga any more, I am off limits to any workouts for a little while.

I just bought a Wegman's brand containing the natural supplements of Glucosamine (1500) and Chondroitin (1200). The Glucosamine is supposed to help with cartilage formation and the Chondroitin helps give cartilage its elastic properties, and can have an anti inflammatory effect, which can help with the swelling of the joints. I am anxious to see how this works in comparison to the Osteo bi flex- this brand contained more of Chondroitin than the Osteo.

Please comment below if you have dealt with back issues like this and have had any luck with natural supplements. Thanks so much!

No comments :

Post a Comment